A successful career not only requires expertise within a given field combined with demonstrations of excellence through, for instance, highly cited publications. Additionally, future group leaders or professors need other professional competencies such as networking skills or strategic thinking (also in terms of their own career). This applies also to PhD students who want to continue their career outside of science. While being a doctoral student it can at times be quite difficult to decide between different career options and paths. You may ask yourself, what are generally steps of a scientific career? What could be next steps in my career? How should I choose between career options? Should I complement my competencies by further training? In an interactive course we will together find answers to these questions. First we will look into typical steps of a scientific career. We will then work on required skill sets for specific work contexts within and outside of science. In a second step, we explore your own qualifications and competencies as well as goals and preferences.We close with noting down concrete action plans. The course will consist of a mix of inputs, group work, and individual work using various interactive formats.
- Overview of scientific career paths and the importance of thinking strategically about ones (scientific) future career
- Analysis of required and actual individual competencies
- Becoming aware and discussing own preferences, values, goals related to future work situations
- Input and discussion on important elements of a successful (scientific) career including the application process
- Defining next steps to take (action plan)
The seminar take place at the following dates:
- 07.06.2021; 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 11.06.2021, 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 14.06.2021, 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 18.06.2021, 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Dieses Seminar gehört zu den überfachlichen Lehrveranstaltungen zur Vermittlung von fachübergreifenden Schlüsselqualifikationen nach §5 Abs. 4 Nr. 2 PromO 2016.
Für die Teilnahme an diesem Workshop erhalten die Teilnehmer/innen 1 Leistungspunkt.
Der genaue Veranstaltungsort wird eine Woche vor der Veranstaltung per E-Mail bekannt gegeben.