The ability to teach in English is an indispensable skill in the academic marketplace. Whether you seek employment in Germany or abroad, academic institutions increasingly require their applicants to agree to teach in English. In this workshop, participants will learn methods to help them lecture competently in English while considering how to establish clear standards that take cultural differences into account. This is not a pedagogy course, but rather an adaptation of your subject knowledge for an English-speaking international audience. You bring the subject knowledge, and we support the language and intercultural competence so that you and your students can have the best possible communication.
- Adjusting your course materials to an English-speaking international audience
- Making your presentations accessible and understandable
- Lecturing in English in a clear way
- Communicating clear expectations (deadlines, project instructions, evaluation standards, etc.)
- Checking comprehension and encouraging active participation in the classroom
Requirement: To profit the most from this workshop, participants are encouraged to bring individual material that they would like to teach in English. Participants will present and provide feedback to other participants, as well as discuss best practices. An advanced level of English is required (B2.2-C1). If you are not sure of your English level, please contact the instructor for help.
Dieses Seminar gehört zu den überfachlichen Lehrveranstaltungen zur Vermittlung von fachübergreifenden Schlüsselqualifikationen nach §5 Abs. 4 Nr. 2 PromO 2016.
Für die Teilnahme an diesem Workshop erhalten die Teilnehmer/innen 1 Leistungspunkt.